Skip to main content

Amateurs Like Us. Why we do it.

Equestrians. Why do we do it?


I haven't been able to show my horse for six years on the account of college and graduate school taking up my life, as well as money. So of course, now that I'm finished, I want to pick it up again.

Riding is a part of me. On a horse I find my true self. A part I have missed for too long.

Why is the equestrian sport so addicting?

It doesn't matter what discipline you do, be it show jumping, eventing, team roping, reining, dressage, or even endurance, it takes a place in your heart. It's unavoidable.

And let's be honest, you're lucky if you win enough in the money class to pay for your entry fee.

So why in the world do we do it? Traveling all over the place on the weekends for a few minutes in the ring, it's hard for some to understand.

But we amateurs, we love it.

So I decided to actually think about why I want to start showing again. Why I want to start spending the hours and hours in the saddle again. And here is what I've come up with...



Seven reasons I love the equestrian sport. {just because I like the number 7}

1. The bond.

Be it on the ground or in the saddle you and your horse create an unreal bond. A type of bond you cannot share with any other being. You feel their strength and power under you and feel them {most of the time} yield to your commands. A horse can feel your body turn to look for the next jump and he moves with you. You become one.

"In riding a horse we borrow freedom." 
George Santayana 


This bond is my #1 reason for loving this sport. It takes time and cannot be created over night, but it is the most rewarding experience in the world.




2. The adrenaline rush.
We spend hours training and schooling for  a few minutes in the show ring. And it's worth every second. When the bond is finally established and you're able to bring your team work into the show ring- wow, it's the most exhilarating feeling.



3. The work.

This sport is a lot of work. From the care of the horse to the actual riding- it's hard. But there is nothing better than coming in from the barn dead tired and crashing into bed. For me it's rewarding to feel tired at the end of the day. And the work is therapeutic; yes, cleaning poop out of a stall is therapy- try it.

"There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man". 
Winston Churchill 



4. The peace.
Being at the barn gives me a calming peace. I know what to do there, I'm comfortable there, and it feels like home. After moving across the country I found a little piece of home in a barn.

"Let your horse teach you about yourself, for you may be at the age where no one else can". 



5. The "Ah-Ha" moments.
The moments when you and your horse finally click. You've been working for something over and over and finally... it clicks, Ah-Ha. And the cool thing about horses is once they get it, they get it {people... not so much}. And then you start on the next thing. These moments help build your bond. They are what make you a team. And it's beautiful. And I love it.



6. The lessons learned.
I could write a book on this one. I have learned more life lessons from my horse than anything else. Never quit- basically when you get thrown off get back on- from a horse or from life.  I've learned the definition of grin and bear it. Face your fears- after a fall it's natural to be nervous but a horse can sense when you're nervous and will get nervous too, so it must be suppressed. Trust {a mutual trust}- I've got to put my trust in a living, breathing, magnificent animal who is a lot bigger than me. And he trusts me back. Commitment- huge. Time management- either at a show or just making time to ride and care from him in general. I will spare you the book but I could seriously go on and on... let's just say I think every child should learn life lessons from a horse.

"Hold on to what makes you happy. If it tries to buck you off, hold on even tighter."




7. The friends.
Horse people make the best friends. We just get each other. I will always cherish my childhood memories with my horse people. We had more fun than you can imagine. We never cared about what we looked like {or smelled like} we just loved each other and our ponies. I know they will be life long friends.











So that's my best shot at explaining why I do it. I just simply can't give it up. 

"If you have to ask, you'll never understand."

Here's to my pals and I getting back in shape! 
Thanks for reading! Hope you have a great weekend. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Okay time, let's cool the jets.

For the first time in my life I wish time would slow down. I've always longed for the next step. In high school I wanted college --> college I wanted to know what to do with my life --> graduate school I wanted to be married --> married wanted to settle in and know where we would live --> and now... I want it to slow down. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to go back... no, never take me back {please}. I can't believe I'll be 25 in less than a month AND in October Andy and I will be married 2 years.  All I'm saying is how in the world did that happen? I'm so excited for the future and what God has in store for our lives, but do you ever wish you could freeze time for a little while? Just soak it all in a little bit longer... I do. So I have decided I am going to enjoy every adventure Andy and I are blessed with. Every run that I just want to cry on because I am dying, every mountain bike trip that I secretly want to hit Andy on because he is s

A desert summer.

We moved into a new house this week!!! My family came out to help us move and of course we had to make some time for play.  We made the tough treck to Fossil Creek!  It was worth it.   I jumped off the little one. It was scary. I don't think I'll do it again.  On the last day we went to Apache Lake.  I forgot my camera so we don't have many documents of this trip, but it was very relaxing.  We are so thankful for their help. And for play time. And for our new house!! 

Why The Wait?

Wait : stay where one is or delay action until a particular time or until something else happens.  "Wait" is not a a word I like to hear. It makes me angry.  It's not in our human nature, waiting. Especially in our society where we are accustomed to getting everything immediately. So why the wait? Why does God force us to wait? Andy and I have been hit with the waiting game pretty hard lately. This is what I have learned... Trust God. Waiting has a way of forcing me to trust His plan. We know He has gone before us. However, He only allows us to see one step directly in front of us at a time. Each time we take a step, He provides us with the next step. I have wrestled with this, desperately wanting to know where we will be next year, and the next; never being content with knowing where we are today. Today, right now, we are fine. God has made sure of that- why can't that be enough? What I have learned: it is enough. Today is enough. And we trust